I guess it might just be the age that the students are that discourage them from answering questions but it is still a problem. My CE has never been mean to a child who answered a question wrong and would send anyone who was mean out of the room. I think students just don't want to be humiliated if they answer a question wrong, and why should they be? If you are never wrong you can never learn, because if you are never wrong you already know everything. We have bred fear into the students and it keeps learning from taking place. We are supposed to teach the students and answer their questions but it is socially unacceptable for students to ask questions because it makes them look "dumb."
Sorry for the rant, but it all seriousness, this is a serious problem. As a future teacher of my own classroom, I have to ask myself what will I do to fix this problem? I could have a question box for students to ask me any questions they have in private but that only partially eliminates the problem. Sometimes, students need questions answered right then in order to understand the rest of the lesson or concept. I am just wondering what I can to so that students know that it is okay for them to ask any question that relates to the content. Has anyone else come across this problem with their students or is it just middle schoolers?
Also, I had a quite humorous exchange with a student this week. A boy, who I go to church with, asked if he could call me by my first name. My response was obviously no but he persisted. I explained to him that I was going to be the teacher and that he didn't call my CE by her first name. He still said he was going to call me by my first name when I hear "I have something that might change your mind." My CE had an office referral in her hand and was smiling at him. He laughed it off and said "I will still do it." She then told him she could start filling it out if she needed to and he shut up real quickly. I am worried that I may have to deal with this problem later in the year and will just have to cross that bridge when I come to it.
I don't see this as an issue in my class nearly as much as you do. However, my students are still "children" technically. I believe your idea of the question box would help. I also think that an exit ticket (sticky note) that requires them to write down at least one thing they got out of the lesson or one thing they struggled with today. This is a way to ensure that everyone is writing something down, so no one can make fun of the other. This also removes the shyness effect as well!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great blog post, Madelyn. I appreciate the clear connection to your classroom and the level of critical thinking you have embedded! I think it is great that you have already begun to tackle this issue now...how can you change the classroom climate so that each student can feel comfortable answering questions (even if they are wrong).
ReplyDeleteI see where a problem may arise f stduents are too afraid to answer and be wrong in front of classmates. I agree that this has become something instilled in the minds of students. I even remember as a student that one of my teachers would frown at us when we got something wrong and make us feel as though we were not smart because we got one question wrong. Unfortunately the battle is no easier to fight today. Students need to feel as though the classroom is a safety zone and no matter what they say they will not be judged and laughed at for a response. Maybe a small short conversation with your class may help ease their minds and make them feel more comfortable as well as continuing to emphasize a "no bullying" policy.
ReplyDelete